Here is Grandma's Afghan in the process of being washed. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it between being balled yarn and it's soak in the bathtub.
This is the light end of Grandma's Afghan being washed:
and this is the dark end:
As you can see, it was much larger than the bathtub. It was about six feet long and four feet wide. Here the darks appear much darker than they are.
I used three strands held together, and a size 35 needle. The blending was done by using several different yarns, of different textures, weights, and shades of pink.
Here is the completed afghan while it is being blocked.
The color changes look a little dramatic here, but I think that is because it is wet. When it dried (after about 6 days) they were less obvious, and looked like this:
In the end I loved the result. The fabric was so springy and comfy I wanted to make myself one. This would be a good way to get rid of those half balls of yarn you have, if you went from color to color, like from pink to white to yellow, or blue to green to yellow.
I'll post the final pictures of this afghan later, once I find them, along with everything else that disappeared mysteriously during the move...